Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check
Date
Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> ow <oneway_111@yahoo.com> writes:
> > --- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> Quite honestly, I think they should check their foreign keys.
>
> > Generally speaking, I agree. The problem is that verification of FK
> > constraint(s) may take too long, depending on the size of the db and other
> > conditions. In my case, on test data, it takes about 1 hour to create tables
> > and copy the data, then about 40 min to create indexes, then 4.5 hours to
> > create one (1) FK constraint.
>
> If you're seeing this on 7.4, I'd like to see the details of the exact
> commands being issued.  If it's not 7.4, it's not a relevant

IIRC, he was. I think the thing causing the difference between his times
and the ones we saw typically when doing the tests was that he didn't have
an index on the fktable's referencing column.