Re: Unsigned numbers - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Unsigned numbers
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wednesday 26 November 2003 11:10, Kaloyan Iliev Iliev wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> I have the following questions.
> I have a lot of fields in my database that are int or float.
> The problem is that I need them to be only positive (unsigned) and the
> users try to insert sometimes negative.
[snip - problem is that errors give constraint name]

> Are there any unsigned data types like unsigned int or unsigned float.
> Can I make a domain or something like that (How exactly to add
> constraint to domain).
> I am using v7.3.2.

Adding CHECKs to domains is new for 7.4, I believe. There aren't any built-in
unsigned types, although in theory you could write your own.

What I do is format my constraint names in a known way. So, a check on table
foo, column bar might be called "foo_bar_positive" - then I can get the
information I want from the constraint name.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd