Re: design question: general db performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: design question: general db performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tuesday 25 November 2003 18:42, shane hill wrote:

> Our db is getting to be a respectable size (about 10GB right now) and is
> growing slower and slower. I have been charged with making it faster and
> with a smaller footprint while retaining all of the current
> functionality.  here is one of my ideas.  Please tell me if I am crazy:

Your idea of using an integer makes sense - that's how it is stored on unix
anyway.

Are you familiar with VACUUM/VACUUM FULL/REINDEX and when you should use them?
If not, that's a good place to start. Try a VACUUM FULL on frequently updated
tables and see if that reduces your disk size.

You'll probably want to check the performance notes too:
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd