Re: How to quote date value? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: How to quote date value?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> nobody wrote:
> > I have found it in documentation, it is single quote. But it does not
> > explain why
> >
> > SELECT '1/11/2003' AS "InvoiceDate";
> >
> > returns "unknown" data type instead of "date".

(I haven't seen the original message yet, so I'm replying to a reply)
Date literals are generally written as:
DATE '1/11/2003'

PostgreSQL will try to guess what type you meant with quoted strings in
expressions, but in the above there isn't enough context to do guess that
you meant a date really (it should probably actually be thought of as a
string in such cases).