Re: wxGTK2ud BuildRequires dependencies - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: wxGTK2ud BuildRequires dependencies
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Le Mardi 18 Novembre 2003 09:08, Dave Page a écrit :
> For those that don't know, the wx team want all patch submitters to
> sign over copyright etc. on their code - this is at request of Borland

Dear all,

To summarise what Andreas wrote on the wx list (from memory): the individual
contributors signing the assignment bear all risks with no gain.

My opinion is that Borland needs such an assignment for precise reasons on the
long run. For example double-licensing or add-on products. Otherwise, the
LGPL-compatible license would suffice.

From the statement page, http://www.wxwindows.org/sf/lstatement.htm:

<<
- At the same time, the Board acknowledges that unforeseeable changes and
future events could cause a need to revise licensing policy to reflect
changed reality, and the Foundation has the right to license the wxWindows
code under different licenses or to allow additional, different licensing
models. The Board does not currently know of any such events, but cannot rule
out the possibility.

- Contributions to the wxWindows project will not be licensed under a license
(such as the "BSD-style" license) that allows private ports to be
distributed.

- Contributions to the WxWindows project will remain available under an open
source license meeting the requirements of the Debian Free Software
Guidelines or the Open Source Definition, with a single exception possible
should significant legal problems develop with the Debian Free Software
Guidelines or the Open Source Definition. The Board hopes fervently that this
exception never arises.

Unreal !!!

In my opinion, I don't see any statement explaining that wxWindows is a common
single work. As there is no definition of the word "contribution", the main
trunk of wxWindows can be double-licensed and contributions released under a
Free license. Or Borland is going to buy developement time and release the
work under proprietary licenses. As a result, we will never benefit from
Borland "help" and "protection". This is very clear reading the statement
page.

Now, to understand the wxTeam mind, ask:

"Dear Sir, can I cancel the illegal assignment
now and sign again in one week?"

(the assignment is completely illegal in Europe)

And you will probably get the answer:

"Thanks for donating your work ...
We are working on a new assignment ...
Bye, bye"

On the list, I have been asking for "public" discussions. I don't see any. As
usual, everything is discussed in the back doors. Who is working on a new
assignment: Borland? Is Borland the center of the world?

People interested in canceling the assignment can visit:
http://wiki.wxwindows.org/wiki.pl?Rantings

You don't have to be ashamed to say "No".

Question : "Can I own your house provided that you live in it for free?"
Answer : "No".

Cheers,
Jean-Michel