Re: pg_restore and FK constraints with large dbs - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: pg_restore and FK constraints with large dbs
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, ow wrote:

> --- Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:
> > Only assuming that no changes were made between dump and restore.  This
> > could be changes to schema or data done manually, but it could also be a
> > locale or possibly encoding change if you have any textual foreign keys.
>
> I'm restoring the database, meaning that (a) it's believed that current db is
> corrupt and needs to be restored or (b) the db is moved to a different server.
> Hence any changes after the last dump will be blown away anyway, wouldn't they?
> One would have to apply the changes manually or whatever, once the restore is
> completed.

Locale/Encoding changes are not part of the inside of the database at all
so there's no guarantees for that.  For the others, sometimes people do
work on textual representations of dumps. Neither of those is a reason not
to have an option to turn them off in restore, but the check should be
allowed if desired.

If you look at the -hackers discussion, options for this were talked
about recently, but it came pretty late in the 7.4 development cycle,
after beta started. It might happen for 7.5 if a consensus is reached for
behavior.