Re: Background writer process - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Background writer process
Date
Re: Background writer process  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Friday 14 November 2003 03:05, Jan Wieck wrote:
> For sure the sync() needs to be replaced by the discussed fsync() of
> recently written files. And I think the algorithm how much and how often
> to flush can be significantly improved. But after all, this does not
> change the real checkpointing at all, and the general framework having a
> separate process is what we probably want.

Having fsync for regular data files and sync for WAL segment a comfortable
compramise?  Or this is going to use fsync for all of them.

IMO, with fsync, we tell kernel that you can write this buffer. It may or may
not write it immediately, unless it is hard sync.

Since postgresql can afford lazy writes for data files, I think this could
work.

Just a thought..
Shridhar