XML Docbook - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject XML Docbook
Date
Re: XML Docbook  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,
what use pure XML Docbook (non-SGML) for 7.5 PostgreSQL docs?
XML advantage:
- more clean and simple conversion into printable  formats by FO (Formatting Objects),- needn't huge TeX stuff (!),-
Javabased XSLT/FO processors like FOP (support PDF, PCL, PS, SVG, Print,  AWT, MIF and TXT),- conversion to
HTML/MAN/etcby xsltproc,- XML based reference docs is usable for example in clients programs as  standard help, because
integrateXML parser into program is more simple and  usual than SGML parser.

I think the current docs build system is usable for normal user only if he wantsto generate HTML docs, but for example
it'suseless if he wants PDF output...For example you can compare our current doc/src/sgml/Makefile with following code
forXML conversion:pdf:   fop -xsl /path/to/stylesheet/xsl/fo/docbook.xsl -xml book.xml -pdf book.pdfps:   fop -xsl
/path/to/stylesheet/xsl/fo/docbook.xsl-xml book.xml -ps book.ps

html:   xsltproc -o htmldir/ /path/to/stylesheet/html/chunk.xsl book.xml
man:   xsltproc /path/to/stylesheet/manpages/docbook.xsl ref.xml

 Comments?
     Karel
-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/