Re: STRICT function returning a composite type - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: STRICT function returning a composite type
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thursday 13 November 2003 16:08, Alexander M. Pravking wrote:
> I noted that such a function returns an empty rowset if a NULL value is
> passed as an argument. Is it a bug or feature? I wish it was a feature,
> because I probably want to use this behavour.

From the SQL commands section of the manual:

RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT or STRICT indicates that the function always
returns NULL whenever any of its arguments are NULL. If this parameter is
specified, the function is not executed when there are NULL arguments;
instead a NULL result is assumed automatically.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd