Re: pg 7.4.rc1, Range query performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From ow
Subject Re: pg 7.4.rc1, Range query performance
Date
List pgsql-sql
--- Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > Sorry there isn't a simple solution.
> >
> > But there is: make an index with the column order (b,c,a).
>
> Oh, yea, right.  If he puts the columns he is doing a straight equals
> comparison first, the 'a' comparison will work fine.  Great.

Yes, I think Stephan Szabo was trying to convince me of something like that for
quite sometime; it was not clear to me then. I'll give it a try.

I still think "CREATE [CLUSTERED] INDEX" (or whatever) is an important feature
and  should be implemented in pgSql. Locking large (or huge) tables for
prolonged periods of time may not be acceptable in many setups.

Thanks