Re: pg 7.4.rc1, Range query performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From ow
Subject Re: pg 7.4.rc1, Range query performance
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

I tried CLUSTER and it did improve performance, somewhat. The query against
"clustered" table performs about five (5) times better than the same table but
"non-clustered". However, even after that table was clustered, the difference
in performance between single record query and range query is significant:

table Test (see below) has 10M records single record - 31 ms and remains mostly constant as table grows range query
returning30 records - about 10 secs and grows together with the

table

Also, CLUSTER is locking the table (in our case this also means locking the
database), so it may be impossible to use it in production on large tables
(impossible in our case).

It feels like I really have a problem here. Any ideas? Thanks

P.S. For the future I would consider implementing "CREATE [CLUSTERED] INDEX"