Re: \xDD patch for 7.5devel - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jason Godden
Subject Re: \xDD patch for 7.5devel
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> #define HEXVALUE(c) \
>     (((c) >= '0' && (c) <= '9') ? ((c) - '0') : \
>      (((c) >= 'A' && (c) <= 'F') ? ((c) - 'A' + 10) : \
>       ((c) - 'a' + 10)))
>
> 3. The third level would be to get rid of the assumption that letters
> are contiguous, which would probably require making a lookup table to
> map from char code to hex value.
>
> I'm not sure level 3 is really worth doing, since AFAIK no one tries to
> run Postgres on any EBCDIC platform.  (It's likely that there are other
> places that depend on the letters-are-contiguous assumption anyway.)
> I do think level 1 and probably level 2 are appropriate changes.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.  Tom I'll make the changes proposed here to the macro
and repost the patch to pgsql-patches (and do some reading on Unicode!).  I
guess at this stage I would like to offer any of my time to any janitorial
work that might be needed as until im more knowledgeable about the pg source
I think any large scale stuff is off the cards.

Rgds,

Jason