Re: UPPER()/LOWER() and UTF-8 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: UPPER()/LOWER() and UTF-8
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:52:33PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alexey Mahotkin <alexm@w-m.ru> writes:
> > I'm running Postgresql 7.3.4 with ru_RU.UTF-8 locale (with UNICODE
> > database encoding), and all is almost well, except that UPPER() and
> > LOWER() seem to ignore locale.
>
> upper/lower aren't going to work desirably in any multi-byte character
> set encoding.  I think Peter E. is looking into what it would take to
It's a PostgreSQL and no  UTF problem, because standard PostgreSQL textfunctions doesn't know something about
argumentsencoding and for thisfunctions cannot use another (an  example UTF's lower/upper) method fora work with
strings.
Maybe a little  extend internal "text" datatype and  like VARSIZE() useVARENCODING(). Maybe Peter already has some
betteridea.

> fix this for 7.5, but at present you are going to need to use a
> single-byte encoding within the server.  (Nothing to stop you from using
> UTF-8 on the client side though.)
You  can use  mutibyte on  server side  too, but  you must  to use  forexample convert() function for upper/lower
arguments.
   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/