Re: INSERT performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Razvan Surdulescu
Subject Re: INSERT performance
Date
List pgsql-general
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> surdules@yahoo.com (Razvan Surdulescu) writes:
> > CREATE INDEX idx_field1 ON data(field1);
> > CREATE INDEX idx_field2 ON data(field2);
> > CREATE INDEX idx_field20 ON data(field20);
>
> Uh, do you actually need an index on every column?

Yes -- I need to search on all these columns, the size
of the table is expected to get very large, and each
column contains very heterogenous data (so indexing
makes sense).

> It's obvious that the index insertions are where the
> time is going.
> You're getting close to 900 index insertions per
> second, which is not
> bad at all on consumer-grade ATA disk hardware, if
> you ask me.

That's helpful to know -- thanks.

> It might
> help to raise shared_buffers, if you didn't already
> do that ... but the
> real solution here is to only index the columns that
> you are actually
> intending to search on.

I will look into the shared_buffers setting -- I have
not done anything with it thus far.

Razvan.