Re: AS operator and subselect result names: PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: AS operator and subselect result names: PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Neil Zanella wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask the about the following...
>
> PostgreSQL allows tables resulting from subselects to be renamed with
> an optional AS keyword whereas Oracle 9 will report an error whenever
> a table is renamed with the AS keyword. Furthermore, in PostgreSQL
> when the result of a subselect is referenced in an outer select
> it is required that the subselect result be named, whereas this
> is not true in Oracle. I wonder what standard SQL has to say
> about these two issues. In particular:
>
> 1. Does standard SQL allow an optional AS keyword for (re/)naming
>    tables including those resulting from subselects.
>
> and
>
> 2 Why must a subselect whose fields are referenced in an outer query
>   be explicitly named in PostgreSQL when it is not necessary in Oracle.

I believe the section in question of SQL92 that you're asking about
says explicitly that a table reference from a derived table should look
like:
<derived table> [ AS ] <correlation name> [ <left paren> <derived column
list> <right paren> ]
where <derived table> is a table subquery.

It's possible that SQL99 changes this, but in SQL92 at least, it looks
like the correlation name is not optional (although the AS keyword is).