Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Wong
Subject Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 10:29:34PM +0100, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> Mark Wong wrote:
>
> >Yeah, my dbt2 applications are multithreaded.
> >

> Do you need SIGPIPE delivery in your app? If no, could you try what
> happens if you apply the attached patch to postgres, and perform the
>     signal(SIGPIPE, SIG_IGN);
> once in your dbt2 app?

Wow, that patch made a pretty big difference:http://developer.osdl.org/markw/dbt2-pgsql/191/- metric 1605.51

So no one has to look for older mail before I applied that patch:http://developer.osdl.org/markw/dbt2-pgsql/190/-
metric1427.24

Looks like about a 12% improvement in the overall metric.  The first thing I
noticed is that do_sigaction in the kernel profile almost disappeared.  The
top few functions in the database profile doesn't appear to have changed much.

Mark