Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Wong
Subject Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:37:21PM +0100, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >markw@osdl.org writes:
> >

> >>7.4beta5 offers more throughput.  One significant difference I see is in
> >>the oprofile for the database.  For the additional 7% increase in the
> >>metric, there are about 32% less ticks in SearchCatCache.
> >>

> >Hmm.  I have been profiling PG for some years now, and I cannot remember
> >ever seeing a profile in which SearchCatCache topped everything else
> >(the usual suspects for me are palloc/pfree support code).  Can you give
> >any explanation why it looks like that?  Can your profiling code tell
> >where the hotspot call sites of SearchCatCache are?
> >
> If I understand the docs correctly, op_to_source -a can do that - the
> result is annotated assembly, with percentage numbers for each
> instruction. If the sources were compiled with -g2, even source level
> annotation is possible.
>
> Mark, do you still have the oprofile output? I don't understand why so
> much time is spent in the kernel signal handlers, i.e. I could use
> annotated assembly or source of linux/kernel/signal.c.

I've rerun a test, capturing the raw oprofile output, running opannotate for
source and assmebly output (links for each should be on the page now.)  Let
me know if I've missed anything:http://developer.osdl.org/markw/dbt2-pgsql/190/

I'm running a test with your patch now too.  I should have results shortly.

Thanks,
Mark