Re: Query planner: current_* vs. explicit date - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Gamache
Subject Re: Query planner: current_* vs. explicit date
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thanks Tom (and others!) Right-on-the-money, as always...

By giving it a definitive range I was able to coax query planner to use the

SELECT id FROM trans_table WHERE trans_date >=  (SELECT
current_date::timestamptz) AND trans_date < (SELECT current_timestamp);

gave me from midnight to the present...

Aside from a slight amount of ugliness, the solution is quite adequate. The
subselects shouldn't cause too much overhead, yes?

BTW, This didn't work:

SELECT id FROM trans_table WHERE trans_date >= current_date::timestamptz AND
trans_date < current_timestamp;

Which was a "nonconstant" version of the above. I think it still suffers from
the timestamp >= unknown_value problem.

CG