Re: how to create a multi columns return function ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: how to create a multi columns return function ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tuesday 21 October 2003 14:08, jclaudio@capitol.fr wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm moving databases from sybase to postgres.
> But I have difficulties in creating a postgres equivalent to the sybase
> stored procedures...
>
> Apparently, Postgres functions should work, but the syb stored procedures
> get only one parameter and return several colums
>
> Here's the code I wrote in postgresql :
>
> create function function_name( int ) returns text
> AS ' SELECT column1, column2, column3,...,column15

You've said it's returning "text" whereas it's returning whatever your columns
are. You'll want to do something like:

CREATE TYPE fn_ret_type AS ( column1 int4, column2 text, column3 date,...
);

CREATE FUNCTION function_name(int) RETURNS fn_ret_type ...

If it returns multiple rows you want SETOF fn_ret_type
--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd