Re: lastval(seq) ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From CSN
Subject Re: lastval(seq) ?
Date
Re: lastval(seq) ?  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
--- "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, CSN wrote:
>
> > How do you get the last value of a sequence
> without
> > having called nextval? phppgadmin displays last
> value
> > for sequences (I haven't found out how yet rooting
> > through the code).
>
> First, the mandatory, why would you want to do that?

For updating sequences after copy importing data (with
id's).

select setval('table_id_seq', (select max(id) from
table));

vs.

select setval('table_id_seq', (select last_value from
table_id_seq));

Is there a transaction-safe way?

CSN