Re: Scripting only the functions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Scripting only the functions
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Monday 20 October 2003 14:04, Kumar wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I am working with Postgres 7.3.4 on RH Linux server 7.2.
>
> Using pg_dump I could manage to take a script for all the DB objects. But
> wanted to take the script (DDL) for all the scripts in my database. While I
> searched I dont find any options in the pg_dump except for script tables
> only.

That'll be because there isn't one (as far as I know).

You could pipe the output of your pg_dump schema through a small perl script
something like:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my ($line, $in_func);
while ($line = <>) {   if ($line =~ /^CREATE.+FUNCTION/) { $in_func = 1; }   if ($in_func) { print $line; }   if ($line
=~/^\s+LANGUAGE\s+\w+;$/) {       $in_func = 0;       print "\n";   }

}

That should do it, although it will fail if you have a line in your function
starting with "LANGUAGE" (doesn't seem likely to me).

The other options you could use are:

1. To write your own function-dumping script (use psql -E then \df+ to see how
to get the function source).
2. Use pgadmin if there aren't too many functions to process, and do it by
hand.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd