Question regarding triggers - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dmitri Fuerle
Subject Question regarding triggers
Date
List pgsql-sql

   I'm writing a trigger but running into problems.  My problem is that I can not determine anyway to tell what fields are in the *new* record.  Without knowing what fields are there I get runtime errors if that's not what is being updated example:

CREATE FUNCTION "public"."check_shipment" () RETURNS trigger AS'
begin
    If new.shipment_type_id = 4 then
        --do something
    end if;
    return new;
end;

in the above example everything works if shipment_type_id is being updated.  If it is not I will receive a run-time error because shipment_type_id is not part of the record new.

Please help,
Dmitri

Do you Yahoo!?