Re: Unicode upper() bug still present - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Unicode upper() bug still present
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane kirjutas E, 20.10.2003 kell 03:35:
> > Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> > > There is a bug in Unicode upper() which has been present since 7.2:
> >
> > We don't support upper/lower in multibyte character sets, and can't as
> > long as the functionality is dependent on <ctype.h>'s toupper()/tolower().
> > It's been suggested that we could use <wctype.h> where available.
> > However there are a bunch of issues that would have to be solved to make
> > that happen.  (How do we convert between the database character encoding
> > and the wctype representation?
>
> How do we do it for sorting ?
>
> > How do we even find out what
> > representation the current locale setting expects to use?)
>
> Why not use the same locale settings as for sorting (i.e. databse
> encoding) until we have a proper multi-locale support in the backend ?

There's absolutely no relationship between database encoding and
locale. IMO depending on the system locale is a completely wrong
design decision and we should go toward for having our own collate
data.  (I think Oracle does this way)
--
Tatsuo Ishii