Re: convert string function and built-in conversions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: convert string function and built-in conversions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, culley harrelson wrote:

> It is one of the extended characters in iso-8859-1.  This data was taken
> from a text field in a SQL_ASCII database.  Basically what I am trying to
> do is migrate data from a SQL_ASCII database to a UNICODE database by
> running all the data through an external script that does something like:
>
> select convert(my_field using ascii_to_utf_8) from my_table;
>
> then inserts the selected text into an identical table in the unicode
> database.  All the data goes across, but extended characters such as �
> are getting munged.  The docs indicate that ascii_to_utf_8 is for
> SQL_ASCII -> UNICODE...  Are you saying that � isn't really an ASCII
> character even though it is valid in a SQL_ASCII database?  I have found
> that all extended characters of the various LATIN encodings will work
> just fine in my SQL_ASCII database.

I would guess that it's not actually forcing/checking the characters for 7
bitness in SQL_ASCII, but that the conversions are treating them as if you
had actually only put in valid 7 bit values (as they appear to be doing
an & 0x7F in at least the routines I looked at).

If you're actually putting iso-8859-1 (latin1) in there, try the
conversion from iso-8859-1 to utf8. It doesn't appear to display properly
in my iso-8859-1 terminal, but taking that string and inserting it into a
unicode database and then setting my client_encoding to iso-8859-1 gives
me the original string back when I select it.