Re: ShmemAlloc errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: ShmemAlloc errors
Date
List pgsql-general
> > $ pg_dumpall >full.db
> > pg_dump: WARNING:  ShmemAlloc: out of memory
> > pg_dump: Attempt to lock table "vs_dfa554862ac" failed.  ERROR:
> > LockAcquire: lock table 1 is out of memory
> > pg_dumpall: pg_dump failed on bandwidth, exiting
>
> Looks like you need to increase max_locks_per_transaction in
> postgresql.conf.  (You'll need to restart the postmaster to make
> this take effect.)
>
> We don't normally hear of people needing that --- is there anything
> unusual about the schema of this database?

I've bumped into this a few times way back when... any chance the
error message could be improved to include a hint to increase
max_locks_per_transaction?  It took a bit of time digging to figure
out that was a valid solution.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden