Re: about postgre SQL download - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: about postgre SQL download
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wednesday 15 October 2003 10:27, Illusiontechnologies wrote:
> Sir,
> We are using Windows 98,WindowsXP on our system. How we are going to
> download postgre SQL for this window platform. Which would be the closest
> mirror since we are from india.

I don't recommend using Windows 98 to host a database at all, XP is much more
stable though. You have three main options...

To run the free version of PostgreSQL on Windows you'll need the (free) cygwin
system which provides a unix-like environment on top of Windows.

http://www.cygwin.com/

This lets you select a number of packages to install, one of which is
postgresql. You can find some details on setting up postgresql on Windows on
the techdocs site.

http://techdocs.postgresql.org

The Cygwin method of running PostgreSQL is not considered as stable as running
on top of Linux/BSD/other unix systems, but should be fine for
developing/testing.

In addition, there are a number of commercial offerings of Windows versions,
again there is a link on the techdocs site. I know of one person who has
installed the dbexperts version and seems very happy.

Finally, the PostgreSQL developers are working on a native Windows version
that should be ready for version 7.5, but that will be some 6-12 months off.

My personal preference would be to install Linux/FreeBSD on a machine and run
it there - setting up Linux is much easier than it used to be. Which option
you want to go for will depend upon your experience, time available and
whether you want to spend any money.

HTH
--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd