Re: authentication totally baffles this novice - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: authentication totally baffles this novice
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 19:42:21 -0400,
  "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@harvee.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to use postgresql with the horde suite and I feel like I'm
> pushing a string.
>
> Running with a Red Hat 9 system with all the patches.  Start up postgresql
> to create the initial database.  everything successful.  Try to list
> database tables from postgres account works.  Try to do it from any other
> account and I get: psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user
> "horde"
>
> commandline I was using from other accounts was "psql -U horde -W" and I
> get the above error after entering the password.

There error message you got suggests that password authentication isn't
being used. Probably the way you have things set up now, you can only
connect to the "horde" db account from the "horde" shell account.

> If I could have a clue please, it would be most appreciated.  Even a simple
> URL would do.

You can set up a list of shell accounts that are allowed to connect as
the "horde" db account by setting up a map in pg_ident.conf and specifying
the map in pg_hba.conf. The config files have comments in them that should
make it clear what you need to do. The config files are located in the
data directory for the cluster they apply to. This might be
/usr/lib/pgsql/data.