Re: How to list which tables are available? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera Munoz
Subject Re: How to list which tables are available?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:02:13PM +0200, B.W.H. van Beest wrote:
> Thanks for the answers given. I am discovering the world of SQL ...
>
> Given the nature of all replies (they all refer to something that is
> PG-specific), I conclude that there is no generic way (i.e. something
> that will hold for all sql-compliant systems).

Actually, the SQL standard _has_ a way to get this information, called the
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.  Not all vendors implement it; at least, it's present
in PostgreSQL 7.4.  Meanwhile you can use the pg_tables view.

"Aprende a avergonzarte m�s ante ti que ante los dem�s" (Dem�crito)