Re: int1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: int1?
Date
List pgsql-general
> >> If we were going to do that I think we'd be better off making a
> >> new type and leaving "char" alone.
>
> > You won't hear any disagreements from me on this one.  I've
> > sufficiently abused "char" as a 1 byte storage field and would
> > love to see an int1 or tinyint datatype added to cover this
> > situation.  -sc
>
> That's been discussed before.  I think it was shelved until we
> figure out a reasonably clean solution to the existing mess with
> assigning the most useful datatypes to integer constants (the "you
> need to cast" set of problems).  Throwing an additional integer type
> into the stew right now would just make things worse :-(

Hrm, yes and no.  It'd make things worse here on the lists in terms of
the FAQ for casting/index usage, etc.  By the same token, I'd rather
have an int1 and cast for the time being, then when a solution does
pop into existence, I'll slowly either begin removing the casts or
just stop using them in future development.  In the meantime, I'll
have a formally supported int1 storage type that isn't "char".

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden