Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date
List pgsql-general
> > This implementation detail really annoys me when using psql.  The
> > attached patch fixes \dn to not show pg_temp_*.  Any chance
> > someone could apply this?  -sc
>
> What have you got against pg_temp?

What value does it provide to have it shown in a \dn listing?  Temp
tables are globally visible across schemas and there's no point to
looking inside of a temp schema that isn't a proc's temp schema.

> If we think \dn shouldn't show those schemas, shouldn't it suppress
> *all* system schemas, including pg_catalog and pg_toast?  Maybe
> information_schema as well?

There is only one pg_catalog, pg_toast, and information_schema schema.
Those schemas yield useful information that can only be fetched via
their respective schemas.  pg_temp_* doesn't meet this criteria since
pg_temp_*'s tables are visible outside of their schema.  Why wouldn't
you want to hide pg_temp_*?

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden