Re: log_duration and \timing times repeatably much higher - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: log_duration and \timing times repeatably much higher
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 12:02:42PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:22:36AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > > -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > >
> > > Uh, I thought the actual number reported by EXPLAIN ANALYZE includes
> > > parse/plan times, but now that you mention it, if it is timing things
> > > inside the executor, it might be just executor times.
> > >
> > > Looking at explain.c, it is only timing the executor part in
> > > ExplainOnePlan().  The planner() call is outside that loop, so it must
> > > be parse/plan, though that seems like a lot of time spent in that area.
> >
> > Could it be because of extremely large statistics settings for the
> > tables involved?
>
> Which large statistics?  Does he more than the default number of
> statistics buckets?

I dunno, that's why I'm asking :-)  Just an idea.

"There is evil in the world. There are dark, awful things. Occasionally, we get
a glimpse of them. But there are dark corners; horrors almost impossible to
imagine... even in our worst nightmares." (Van Helsing, Dracula A.D. 1972)