Re: Running tally - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From elein
Subject Re: Running tally
Date
List pgsql-sql
You can use plpythonu (or tcl or C or R) to do running
sums.  For plpythonu, you must initialize the SD[]
by calling it first with the proper argument.

create or replace function runsum(int,int)
returns int as
' if args[0] == 1:      SD["currval"] = 0      return SD["currval"] else:      try:         SD["currval"] += args[1]
 except:         SD["currval"] = args[1] return SD["currval"]

' language 'plpython';

select runsum(1,0);
select num, runsum(0,num) from tallytable;

Variations on this technique are discussed on
General Bits http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits
under the Tidbits area listing talks from OSCON2003.

elein@varlena.com

webstat=# select runsum(0,code), code, doc from temp_rawlogs;