Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:33:12AM -0500, nolan@celery.tssi.com wrote:

> I'm not trying to be argumentative here or defending MySQL, just noting
> that a shutdown process that isn't tested can cause problems even with
> commercial databases.  And as someone who has to put up with MySQL on
> occasion, I'm always looking for problem areas for the DBA.

Well, you can convert that into an argument favoring PostgreSQL.  In
Postgres, no matter what shutdown procedure you use, a committed
transaction will be a committed transaction after the power comes back,
and an uncommitted transaction will still be an uncommitted transaction,
without needing lengthy rollback procedures.  If commercial systems,
including MySQL, do not work the same, it is some kind of "issue".
(Just like slow aggregates are an "issue" in Postgres just because other
systems make them work fast.)