Re: autoupdate sequences after copy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: autoupdate sequences after copy
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 09 October 2003 08:10, CSN wrote:
> Is there a way to have p/k sequences get automatically
> set to max(id)+1 after COPY's like the following?
>
> copy table1 (id,name) from stdin;
> 1 abc
> 2 def
> 3 fhi
> \.

Not really - if you don't use the sequence it keeps its value. If you look at
pg_dump it issues an explicit setval() after a copy.

I'm not sure you can even work around it with a BEFORE trigger to check and
update the sequence, the nextval() call will probably be processed before the
trigger gets called (haven't checked). In any case, performance would be a
bit poor.

Is there any reason why you're supplying your own id values when you already
have a sequence?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd