Re: Does postgresql support HKSCS ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric Tan
Subject Re: Does postgresql support HKSCS ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Ang Chin Han,

    Thank you very much !!

    Though I'm not understand you meaning very well, I appreciate your comment !! No one give me such useful information from the English world !!
However, I'm not sure on 2 points:

1. "map HKSCS to UNICODE"
     - String big5 = String.getbyte(request.getParameter("hk_field"), "Big5");

2. "duplicate Big5's code in pgsql to support HKSCS natively."
    - I don't understand how to do this.

Ang Chin Han <angch@bytecraft.com.my> wrote:
Dennis Gearon wrote:

> Isn't HKSC one of the languages supported by UNICODE? I thought they had
> every langauge past and present in it.

You'll have to map HKSCS to UNICODE yourself before the data hits
postgresql, and data out of postgresql would be in UNICODE, and up to
you to convert back to HKSCS after retrival. pgsql doesn't have *native*
HKSCS support.

HKSCS is an extension of Big5 right? From the info we have:

http://www.unicode.org/faq/unicode_iso.html
http://www.info.gov.hk/digital21/eng/hkscs/download/big5-iso.txt

We might be able to duplicate Big5's code in pgsql to support HKSCS
natively.

I don't have experience with HKSCS nor test materials to attempt it though.

--
Linux homer 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

兩個人的幸運、亂世佳人、遇見...
浪漫鈴聲 情心連繫
http://ringtone.yahoo.com.hk/