Re: int1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: int1?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > Is there any date type that can be used for 0-255
> > values? Like an "int1" or byte column.
>
> A SMALLINT is two bytes on disk, use "char" instead.  This is a hidden

However "char" has some serious deficiencies IIRC, such as the fact that
there's no int<->"char" casts and it's standard I/O format is characters.
You can use ascii and chr to get around some of that, but it's ugly.

> goodie in PostgreSQL and one that I wish was exposed via a more
> conventional syntax (*hint hint*).

If we were going to do that I think we'd be better off making a new type
and leaving "char" alone.