Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From nolan@celery.tssi.com
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)  (Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in>)
List pgsql-general
> One of my friend lost data with mysql yesterday.. The machine was taken down for
> disk upgrade and mysql apperantly did not commit the last insert.. OK he was
> using myisam but still..:-)

It sounds like that is more a problem with improper operating protocols
than with the underlying database.

Would PG know enough to do a commit regardless of how the database was
shut down?  A second question is whether doing a commit is what the user
or application would always want to have happen, as it could result in a
half-completed transaction.
--
Mike Nolan