Re: Data partitioning? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Data partitioning?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:34:18AM +0100, psql-mail@freeuk.com wrote:
> I am becoming more and more convinced that in order to achieve the
> required performance and scalability I need to split my data amoungst
> many backend machines.

How much data do you have, and what are you trying to run on?  That
sounds like a _lot_.   In any case, you can't do this in PostgreSQL
right now.  A single back end controls all the data.

> I think this is called data partitioning in oracle?

Usually people mean spreading tables across different disks by some
criteria when they talk about that.  Completely different machines is
pretty usual.

> If not what suggestions does anyone have for writing my own?

Be very careful.  Multi-database concurrency problems are easy to
cause and hard to solve.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110