Re: Adding Indexes to Functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Adding Indexes to Functions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:15:06 -0300,
  Jeff MacDonald <info@bignose.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table, where one of the columns "extradata" is a gob of XML.
> I'd like to be able to create an index on this function.. so i tried
> this
>

> CREATE INDEX actitemsXML_idx ON act_items
> (pgxml_xpath(extradata,'//RequestInfo/refund_id/text()','',''));

I don't think that you can create indexes on functions that had expressions
or constants for parameter values in 7.3 and earlier. You might want to
try this with the 7.4 beta and see if it works there. There will probably
be a 7.4 release candidate this week, so you may be able to consider
7.4 for production soon.