Re: pg_restore takes ages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_restore takes ages
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:06:26PM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:

> also, turning off fsync during the load helps a lot.  Be sure to turn it
> back on when you're done of course.

I'm not sure I understand why this is so.  If I turn fsync off, it means
that I won't force the kernel to write WAL logs to disk, but they will
have to be written eventually.  If you have tons of RAM it may well be
that the kernel will just keep dirty buffers in RAM, but if not there
should not be any difference.  Am I missing something?

"Investigación es lo que hago cuando no sé lo que estoy haciendo"
(Wernher von Braun)