Re: time sensitve: comparing performance to MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: time sensitve: comparing performance to MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:59:03AM -0500, Matt Christian wrote:
> The project will be ported form an existing codebase which uses Oracle
> as the backend.

If that's the case, then your developers will want Postgres anyway.
MySQL is just not feature-comparable.  Postgres is.

> I understand that Postgres has been closing the speed gap with MySQL,
> but I'm having trouble finding hard data on this. What specific
> information is available in this area?

What specific information is there that MySQL was ever faster ;-)
The benchmarks are all lousy, as near as anyone's been able to tell,
but Great Bridge did a benchmark some time ago which purported to
prove that PostgreSQL was almost as fast as an industry-leading
database with "7i" in its name.  If that's useful to you, google for
"breat bridge benchmark".

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110