Re: [translators] 7.4 Release Web Page Text - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [translators] 7.4 Release Web Page Text
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Anastasios,

> > ADVANCED SQL FEATURES
> >    PostgreSQL continues to expand its support for the SQL 92 and SQL 99
> > standards, maintaining its place as the industry leader in standards
> > compliance by including many SQL features not found in other databases.
> > New in 7.4 are
>
> Does it mean,
> a) that there are many SQL feature, which are not implemented in any
> other database,
> b) or that there are databases, which do not have these SQL features?

It's really a vague way of saying both.   PostgreSQL has a bunch of SQL
features, such as SCHEMA and correlated subselects, which are not found in
many other SQL databases.   We also have a few features, such as CREATE
AGGREGATE and DOMAINs, which I don't believe are found in any other database
with real market share.

However, I'm not absolutely sure of the second interpretation -- I haven't
worked with several databases in years.    So if German forces you to phrase
it as one of the other, phrase it as:

PostgreSQL has many SQL features which are not found in most other SQL
databases.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions