help with rule and notification - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Theodore Petrosky
Subject help with rule and notification
Date
List pgsql-sql
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this
question but I will start here...

I have a job tracking system that I am developing with
postgresql and mac os x. I have all the pieces in
place (mostly) but i am having a problem with notify..

I am trying to set up things so that two (or more)
people can view the same job data, and if one client
updates the data the others will be notified and can
update their displays.

I got the notify to work (it wasn't too difficult) but
now I am trying to figure out the logic. I mean the
only examples I see have rules that say.. update
table1, then the rule updates table2 and sends a
notify to anyone listening.

The information passed in the notify is a reference to
the second table. Ok so far. I am having a problem
with the second table update. When I update table1
(update table1 set info ='info' where jobno = '10023')
how do I pick up the jobno variable in my rule?
something like

create rule r1 as on update to table1 do (update
table2 set jobno = table1.jobno; notify table2;)

so anyone listening for notifications on table2 can
ask table2 for the jobno that was updated. then if
they were viewing that jobno, update their display. if
not just ignore the notify.

maybe i'm going about this all wrong and someone can
point me in a better direction. I am open to any
solution...

Thanks..

Ted