Re: Postgresql 'eats' all mi data partition - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Postgresql 'eats' all mi data partition
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Tomas Szepe wrote:

> > [sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com]
> >
> > Did you use -f on the vacuumdb?  If not, it did a normal vacuum (which
> > isn't likely to help) not a full vacuum.
>
> There are scenarios where VACUUM FULL is not an option because
> of its resource-hungriness and plain VACUUM just doesn't seem
> to help.
>
> We have a production database that happens to receive several
> thousand row updates per minute.  We VACUUM ANALYZE every four
> hours with max_fsm_pages set to 2100000, and it's no use.

Hmm, what does vacuum verbose say?

One other thing is to find where the space is going.  Some of that might
be ending up in indexes which (unfortunately) on 7.3 and earlier aren't
going to get cleaned up by vacuum and will instead need a reindex.