Re: Large Objects and Bytea - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From sad
Subject Re: Large Objects and Bytea
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi, Friends !

On Thursday 25 September 2003 08:11, you wrote:

> I am migrating MS SQL DB to Postgres DB. I have tables with columns of data
> type 'Image' in the MS SQL database. IF I choose 'bytea' datatype, I am
> afraid it may lead to poor performance of the database (which I read from
> the manual). In this case what is the best data type to use.

I am using TEXT fields to store images and pdfs.
There is one "feature": ZERO bytes causes interruption of input and output.
so I am translating Zeroes to '#0' and '#' to '#1' (it is similar to work with
bytea)
I am really not sure that's the best, but usefull.

BTW, i ask Developers: can you remove this "feature" of ZEROES in a TEXT ?
AFAIK the TEXT-type itself allows ANY bytes to store !
(its length representet explisitly in 4 bytes)
The "feature" obviosly grown from C strings......