libpq: how to get a sequence of partial PGresult-s - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Igor Shevchenko
Subject libpq: how to get a sequence of partial PGresult-s
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Hi,

I use PostgreSQL as a database for my gui app.
Some queries can take alot of time (e.g. app's search function), and I'd like
to show recieved data as soon as it arrives. I've played with non-blocking
mode and PQconsumeInput and as far as I can see, backend sends data (almost?)
as soon as it's found. The libpq library (protocol v3) reads incoming data
(DataRow messages) but returns PGresult only when the CommandComplete message
is recieved. Is there any way to get/process this partial PGresult in my
app ? I haven't found any API function for this, so I thought about an
additional function for the libpq's API -

PGresult* PQgetNextResult ( PGconn* conn );

It'd make a tupleless copy of conn->result (PGresult), assign it to conn-
>result and return the old conn->result object, i.e. something like this :

PGresult* PQgetNextResult ( PGconn* conn ) {if ( !conn->result )    return NULL;PGresult* res =
conn->result;conn->result= pgMakeTuplelessCopy ( res );return res;

}

It's ok to return an empty PGresult (PQntuples(res) == 0);
NULL return value would still indicate the end of the query.
Libpq would still be able to recieve/process remaining DataRow results.
This would be a better counterpart to mysql's mysql_fetch_row(...) api
function.

Does this makes sence ?

Btw I know about sql cursors but I'd have to repeat "fetch next from mycursor"
for all resulting tuples, which is a big processing/network overhead.

--
Best regards,
Igor Shevchenko