Re: Fw: Backup error - Pls help - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Fw: Backup error - Pls help
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Monday 22 September 2003 13:15, Kumar wrote:
> Dear Friend,
> I understood what you are saying. But could you pls tell me how to change
> the path of the pg_dump so that it should point to
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump

There's a guide on the Linux Documentation Project here: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Path.html
but it might not be RedHat specific (if that's what you are running).

You probably want to look at /etc/profile - this should be where your path is
set. It also runs all the files in /etc/profile.d/ (on RedHat)

Perhaps the best method, if you want to keep both versions of PG is to rename
the "wrong" pg_dump to pg_dump.alt and then you can do (as root)

# cd /usr/bin
# ln -s ../local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump

This will create a link from /usr/bin/pg_dump to /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump
which should make it your default.
You can still run the old version as pg_dump.alt - this should help to ensure
you know which one you are running.

HTH
--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd