Re: createlang plpgsql failing on redhatlinux7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: createlang plpgsql failing on redhatlinux7.2
Date
List pgsql-sql
Please don't post html-only messages to the list, it makes quoting hard...

On Friday 12 September 2003 14:49, vijaykumar M wrote:
> <P>We have a machine with  RedhatLinix 7.2, on top of this i upgraded
> the postgresql7.3.3 version. After creating a database, i'm trying to
> create a language for that database by using <STRONG>createlang plpgsql
> <dnname></STRONG></P> <P>it throws an error " failed with some
> missing files".

Hmm - we need to find out why the files are missing. First thing to try is
"locate plpgsql.so" and see if that can find your library. If so, make sure
you have its location added to /etc/ld.so.conf and re-run "ldconfig".

If the file genuinely doesn't exist, did you install from RPM or source?
If RPM, try "rpm -ql postgresql-server" to see what files it thinks it
installed.
If source, can you remember what options you chose to compile with, or do you
have the source-directories still around? If you still have the source,
there'll be a file called configuration.cache or similar that should hold
your config options.

> so, i copied /<STRONG>usr/local/pgsql/plpgsql.so
> </STRONG>from Redhatlinux8.0 machine and tried again to create a language.
> this time i got an error like <STRONG>'Load of file
> /usr/lib/pgsql/plpgsql.so failed :/lib/i686/libc.so.6: version GLIB_2.3 not
> found (required by /usr/lib/pgsql/plpgsql.so).</STRONG></P>

RedHat changed their version of glibc between 7.2 and 8.0 - you can't just
move libraries between these versions.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd