Re: JBoss w/int8 primary keys in postgres ... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: JBoss w/int8 primary keys in postgres ...
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 07:23:02PM +0100, Paul Thomas wrote:

> >Shall I petition hackers, stating that EJB/CMP is not a fly-by-night
> >technology (rather, more like the COBOL of our generation), and that
> >postgres would make a great backend for something like JBoss, or any
> >DB-neutral relational persistence generation framework using any of the
> >available interfaces, not just JDBC, if this issue was solved once and
> >for all?
> >
> >Or will we be told 'show us the backend code that passes the regression
> >tests', which is a valid response.
>
> I think the first big hurdle is going to be making them realize that with
> CMP there _is no_ SQL source to modify in the first place. Yes, I think
> you need to petition hackers and maybe x-post to advocacy too - there are
> also people there who need to be made aware that PostgreSQL has a serious
> Achilles heel as an enterprise database!

I have to ask .. If your CMP implementation knows enough about Postgresql
types to use an int8 column, why can't it also know about the index
behaviour?

Or is it ending up with an int8 column via other means? (alias from a
standard type name? manual configuration?)

Our inhouse CMP implementation has to know about postgresql specifics for
other reasons anyway (e.g. "use bytea for storing complex serializable
objects"), so while we don't currently use int8 columns with indexes it
wouldn't be hard to add. We don't support mapping to arbitary schemas,
though, so we really do need to know more about the DB's guts to get table
creation etc. right.

For CMPs that do map to user-provided schemas, from memory the couple I've
looked at (Weblogics, the J2EE RI) both let you edit the SQL to be used
directly (via an extension DD), presumably since machine-generated code is
hard to do a correct mapping with in all cases. Does JBoss not let you do
this?

-O