Re: JBoss w/int8 primary keys in postgres ... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: JBoss w/int8 primary keys in postgres ...
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 09/09/2003 16:46 João Ribeiro wrote:

> Hi!
>
> This is an old discussion. :)
> At the office we resolved this by making the driver to quote every
> setLong or SetBigDecimal (the problem exist here too.)
> Its really easy to do but it's not the correct way: this a backend's
> problem and have to be fixed there and not at the driver.
> If you already have an application in production state this "hack" can
> resolve for moment but this need to be resolved correctly in the future.
>
> I paste the old mails about this subject as it's look like Barry is busy
> or away.

Tnx for that João. I agree that a back-end(BE) change to allow some form
of type promotion int4->int8 when looking for suitable indexes would be
the best solution. The problem is explaining to the BE developers that in
EJB/CMP, no SQL is written by the programmer and get-arounds like type
casting or quoting can't be used. This makes PostgreSQL a poor choice
enterprise database ATM as EJBs are an extremely important enterprise
technology. I can see Barry's point about not hacking the driver to
overcome something which should be handled in the BE. But here we are 18
months after Barry's email and nothing has changed so I'm wondering when,
if ever, a solution will be implemented.
--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |